Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Deadlift breakdown

Mid-point test night for deadlifts
Deadlifts: 405 X 1, 495 X 1, briefs on from here out: 585 X 2, 635 X 2, 675 X 3 sets of 2. first set was o.k. but not great, the second set was the best and felt good, the third set I used straps and my form sucked and it was sloppy. I will take it though.
Weighted sit-ups on flat bench: 35 lbs, X 10, 60 lbs X 10, 80 lbs X 2 sets of 10
Reverse hyper: 2 sets of 20 with 800.
Prowler: we had 3 guys trading off with 1 plate on for 2 laps 2/3 of a mile.

So my deadlift has not been moving up in a long time so I decided to make n effort to work the stuff that makes my pull suck.
I felt like the majority of my posterior chain was lacking so that was the target. Here is the body part I was targeting and the exercised I used to smash it.

Hamstrings: Glute Hams (which I literally have never done consistently)
Stiff Leg Deads
Romanian Deads

Mid-Back (erectors and lats): Romanian Deads
One arm DB Row

Low Back: Stiff Legs from the floor and standing on 3" box
Romanian Deads
Suspended Good Mornings
Heavy Reverse Hypers

*Things I noted based on comparing past deadlift workouts and tonight's workout: My speed from the floor improved. The middle of the deadlift (where I normally miss and round my back and shoulders) was solid. My top end lock out needs more work to have a strong finish.
Remedy: A solid dose of upper back work in addition to the previous 6 weeks of what I call "Hate Workouts" (because I hate all the exercises I chose to do). This means a lot more double KB snatch, shrugs, and upright row-like exercises. The plan right now is to do another 4-6 week week point training cycle and repeat tonight's workout (hopefully with heavier weights and cleaner reps).

-Time will tell

No comments: